Posted on January 4, 2019
This year you can expect to see more personalized emails, as well as more interactive emails. For the second year in a row, those two email design trends stood out above all others, according to a Litmus poll of more than 240 marketers.
The next tier of email design trends included using more AI-driven content and live content, and simplifying email designs. The other eight email design trends that we asked marketers about received a bit less enthusiasm, although they’re all still likely to be important this year.
To bring some perspective to these email design trends, we reached out to our friends at Action Rocket, Campaign Monitor, Trendline Interactive, Oracle, Really Good Emails, Yes Marketing, and Adobe. Let’s discuss each of these 13 email design trends in more detail.
To see the ranking of trends and a discussion of each one…
Posted on January 3, 2019
Creating effective welcome and onboarding emails is hard—and many of your peers are struggling with the very same challenge.
In this notebook, onboarding email expert Val Geisler, Litmus Community & Product Evangelist Jason Rodriguez and I review welcome emails submitted by fellow email marketers and provide hands-on copywriting suggestions, design feedback, and strategic takeaways that you can apply to your own campaigns.
You will learn:
- How to make a good impression above the fold
- Why focusing on the most valuable call-to-action helps declutter your message
- How to create a clear content hierarchy so your email is easy to scan
- Why defensive design and optimizing for image blocking is key for effective onboarding emails
We’re bringing the spirit of the highly popular Live Optimization sessions at our Litmus Live conferences directly to your desk with this report. Download your copy to get the tips and inspiration you need to take your welcome emails to the next level.
Posted on December 25, 2018
Posted on December 21, 2018
Litmus published more than 130 blog posts in 2018—that’s a lot of tips and resources!
Not sure where to get started? We asked some members of the Litmus marketing team to share their favorite blog resources of the year. Here’s what they said…
- Jason Rodriguez’ pick: Presentation Tips: Lessons Learned from Giving 100+ Talks and Webinars
- Jaina Mistry’s pick: Gmail’s Promotions Tab Is NOT the Spam Folder
- Bettina Specht’s pick: The Ultimate Guide to Background Images in Email
- And my pick: 6 Manipulative Email Tactics that Disrespect Subscribers—And Hurt Marketers
To learn why these are our favorites…
Posted on December 20, 2018
Litmus published five reports and six whitepapers during 2018, covering a wide range of email marketing topics from analytics to email service providers and interactive emails to email’s return on investment. The reports and whitepapers we released during 2018 include:
- 2018 State of Email Analytics
- 2018 State of Email Service Providers
- 2018 State of Email Workflows
- 2018 State of Email Report
- How to Recover from Email Marketing Mistakes
- Interactive Emails: Understanding the Hottest Trend in Email Marketing
- Why a Lack of Email Marketing Mistakes Is a Red Flag
- Email Marketing ROI: The Factors that Lead to Better Returns
- How to Improve Email Review Cycles and Email Approvals
- Email Marketing Staffing & Resourcing for Success
- How to Overcome the Biggest Email Marketing Challenges of 2018
That’s a lot of content. More than 135 pages of email marketing insights! (And those are just the reports. We also did webinars, infographics, and blog posts based on this research.)
Of course, we think every one of those reports is worth your time, but in case you’d like some guidance on which ones to read first, members of our marketing team have selected their top picks:
- Jason Rodriguez’ pick: Why a Lack of Email Marketing Mistakes Is a Red Flag
- Bettina Specht’s pick: Email Marketing Staffing & Resourcing for Success
- Jaina Mistry’s pick: 2018 State of Email Workflows
- And my pick: Email Marketing ROI: The Factors that Lead to Better Returns
To learn why these are our favorites…
Posted on December 18, 2018
Litmus hosted eight webinars during 2018, covering a wide range of email marketing topics from email workflows and how to start the year off right to the ESP industry and welcome emails.
That’s a lot of content. More than 8 hours of email marketing insights! (And those don’t include the webinars that did with our partners like Salesforce, SparkPost, and the Email Experience Council.)
Of course, we think every one of those webinars is worth your time, but in case you’d like some guidance on which ones to watch first, the members of our marketing team have selected their top picks:
- Jason Rodriguez’ pick: Live Optimization: Supercharge Your Onboarding Emails
- Bettina Specht’s pick: The Trends Transforming the Email Service Provider Landscape
- Jaina Mistry’s pick: Email Tactics Customers Hate
- And my pick: Key Insights from a Year of State of Email Research
To learn why these are our favorites and watch the webinars…
Posted on December 14, 2018
Must-read articles, posts & reports
The Challenges of Attribution in Email Marketing (OnlyInfluencers)
Introducing Reminders and Unsubscribe features in Yahoo Mail (Yahoo! Mail Blog)
Insightful & entertaining tweets
— Simms Jenkins (@SimmsJenkins) November 26, 2018
Ok I’m all about using email subject lines to create urgency, but, uh Cyber Monday literally JUST started… pic.twitter.com/5kNkditmeg
— Matt Lindner (@RetailMatt) November 26, 2018
Black Friday: the day of the year when you find out what marketer’s list your email has been buried in for eternity only to resurface in all its glory. #emailmarketing
— Anthony Chiulli (@AnthonyChiulli) November 22, 2018
Noteworthy subject lines
Saks Fifth Avenue, 11/5 – Your “I Voted” sticker needs an outfit to match
American Red Cross, 11/2 – A friendly reminder for Daylight Savings Time
Panera Bread, 11/28 – Chad, an update on the romaine recall from the CDC.
Applebee’s, 11/2 – We’re Thanking Veterans With A Free Meal Nov. 11th
Aeropostale, 11/12 – In Honor Of Those Who Serve
Epicurious, 11/4 – Our 155 best Thanksgiving recipes
Hayneedle, 11/11 – 5 steps to a holiday-ready home …
West Elm, 11/15 – Up to 30% off SUPER deals to get you guest-ready
eBags, 11/4 – Heading Home For The Holidays?
Crate & Barrel, 11/1 – An early-early holiday gift: 15% OFF.
Nike, 11/13 – Nine great gift ideas for kids
Staples, 11/30 – Do your coworkers rule? Give them something great >>>
Saks Fifth Avenue, 11/30 – Your favorite person wants these…
Gap, 11/30 – This would look so good on you (it’s okay to self-gift)
RH, 11/2 – Introducing the Ultimate Faux Fur Holiday Collection
Lenovo, 11/21 – PCs starting at $99 – extremely limited quantities!
Lane Bryant, 11/28 – 2019 is coming FAST. Grab your glitter.
Brooks Brothers, 11/19 – Save 15%. Save lives.
Wayfair, 11/10 – SPOILER! Awesome WALL PANELING inside >>
Ikea, 11/2 – IKEA Wins J.D. Power Award
Neiman Marcus, 11/4 – Be the best-dressed wedding guest
Anthropologie, 11/7 – Stand out in a marshmallow world.
Feeding America, 11/10 – We know we’re your favorite. Will you make it official?
P&G everyday, 11/2 — *Gasps.* *Clasps face.* *Happy tears.*
MAC Cosmetics, 11/17 – Say SOIRÉE NOT SORRY with These Fashion-Forward Gift Ideas
Clinique, 11/13 — #FindMyiD: It all starts now.
New posts on EmailMarketingRules.com
Posted on December 13, 2018
If you didn’t have time to read all of the hundreds of pages worth of reports and research insights that came out of our 2018 State of Email Survey, you’re in luck: We’ve condensed the key stats, trends, and takeaways from all our research into a single webinar.
In this webinar, I discuss four major themes from this year’s research:
- Why most email review and approval processes are inefficient (and what you can do to fix them)
- How performance visibility impacts the subscriber experience
- The use of third-party tools to supplement ESP functionality
- How the under-measurement of email marketing ROI is hurting budgets
To watch the recording, view the slides, and read the Q&A…
Posted on December 11, 2018
All of the industry research that Litmus does is only possible with the support of awesome email marketers like you.
If you’ve read our State of Email reports, attended a Litmus webinar, or read the Litmus blog, please consider donating a little of your time to complete our 4th annual State of Email Survey. Your responses will help us establish benchmarks, identify trends, and continue to deliver the unique and valuable insights you’ve come to expect from us.
Make sure that your voice is heard.
Posted on December 7, 2018
Across its three cities—Boston, London, and San Francisco—Litmus Live 2018 featured over 50 different talks from some of the brightest minds in the email industry. There were so many talks hitting on some of our favorite topics—whether it’s modular design, interactive email, automation and personalization, or collaborating more effectively—that it was hard for us to pick our favorites. All of them were exceptional and helped illuminate different facets of a complex and evolving industry.
But, pick we did. Here are some of the Litmus marketing team’s favorite talks from this year’s batch of amazing sessions at Litmus Live:
- Jaina Mistry’s pick: “Moving Beyond Campaigns: Creating a Flagship Email Product” by Drew Price
- Jason Rodriguez’ pick: “Fixing Enterprise Email with Design Systems” by Fabio Carneiro
- Bettina Specht’s pick: Live Optimization
- And my pick: “Improving Engagement Through Feedback Mechanisms” by Leonie Jonker
To learn why these were our favorites and watch the recordings of those sessions…