Posted on September 23, 2020
Growing your email list is a challenge. Email list churn makes that challenge even harder. That’s because you have to replace every subscriber who unsubscribes, reports your emails as spam, or becomes chronically inactive just to keep your list size steady, much less grow it.
It’s like walking up a down escalator. The more your list churns, the faster you have to go to avoid losing ground. And that escalator is moving pretty fast for most companies. According to Return Path research, 44% of new subscribers will typically churn before reaching their first anniversary on your list.
Fortunately, here are 8 steps you can take to reduce your email list churn…
Posted on September 22, 2020
When 5G wireless networks and devices start to take hold later this year, they will fundamentally change consumer behavior and open up new marketing opportunities for companies, as well as new pitfalls. It’s a game-changer because 5G wireless is roughly 10 times faster than today’s 4G networks and provides much more accurate location information. Just like the arrival of 4G made it possible for services like Uber and Lyft to launch, 5G will be the catalyst for a new wave of tech giants.
In this post from Oracle CX Marketing Consulting’s Jonathan McClure, he discusses how 5G wireless will change consumer behavior and then how marketers will need to adapt. He recommends that marketers focus on:
- Adding more video
- Building richer website designs
- Creating richer email designs
- Taking advantage of more precise location-triggered messaging
- Explore the mainstreaming of VR and AR
- Tightening up omnichannel orchestration
- Adapting to increasing privacy concerns and controls
For all the details about how 5G wireless will impact businesses…
Posted on September 21, 2020
Inbox placement often feels like it’s out of marketers’ hands. However, the truth is that businesses have a tremendous amount of control as to whether inbox providers view their emails as safe or spam. That was the overarching message of my presentation at Litmus Live Week last week.
To help empower marketers to take full ownership of their deliverability, I discussed the seven factors that affect sender reputations and detailed exactly what is included in each factor. Because email marketing is constantly evolving, I also pointed out how each of the factors has changed over the years and debunked some myths about deliverability.
Litmus has now made the on-demand recordings of 60 Litmus Live Week session available for free viewing, including my own session on email deliverability. Check out my session, which begins at the 5:36 mark, to gain a clear understanding of exactly what actions to take and which to avoid in order to have your emails reach your subscribers’ inboxes more consistently.
Posted on September 15, 2020
Marketing metrics are just numbers. Without the proper understanding and context, you can’t turn these numbers into the valuable insights you need to make better tactical and strategic decisions.
In this series of posts, we’ll look at a variety of marketing metrics, discussing how to measure each one, how to use each one, and how to benchmark your performance. In this post, we’re examining email open rates, which are easily the most misunderstood email marketing metric—by a long shot. We’ll explain:
- How Open Rates Are Measured
- How to Best to Use Open Rates
- What Is a Good Open Rate
For a detailed look at each of those issues…
Posted on September 9, 2020
Must-read articles, posts & reports
Insightful & entertaining tweets
SMTP will be 40 years old in 2022! It’s time to start planning a big world party, right? #emailgeeks
— Jonathan Loriaux (@jloriaux) August 27, 2020
… but I’d trade them all for an email list.
— davegerhardt (@davegerhardt) August 2, 2020
Spun up a bunch of new spamtraps over the weekend and I’m getting a 10% increase in trap traffic benefit. In just a single day (so far). Amazed.
— Al Iverson’s Spam Resource (@spamresource) August 10, 2020
False scarcity is lame. pic.twitter.com/x6xeHi9k98
— Kurt Elster 🛒 (@kurtinc) August 6, 2020
Noteworthy subject lines
Big Lots, 8/6 – Your Halloween Headquarters!
Office Depot, 8/8 – Back to school: Changing the way that we learn
Michaels, 8/6 – Get what you need for school—no matter where you learn.
Michaels, 8/2 – Aced it: Deals and DIYs to get you ready for any teaching environment
Target, 8/6 – Deals on school supplies 🖍️
Uncommon Goods, 8/16 – Grill it. Shake it. Chill it. Make it the best Labor Day ever.
Neiman Marcus, 8/31 – Match your mask to your dress
MoMA Design Store, 8/18 – New! Masks & Face Coverings
Petco, 8/29 – Easy ways to thank your ‘quaran-team’ buddy 🐶
Crate and Barrel, 8/22 – BYOB: Be your own barista.
Express, 8/29 – Staycation inspiration + FREE shipping and 50% off 3+ items
Banana Republic, 8/6 – RSVP: Backyard Bash
Williams Sonoma, 8/2 – How to set your summer table
Zales, 8/18 — 🚗 Second Stop on Our Summer Virtual Road Trip: Charleston!
Michael, 8/18 – Looking for a new DIY? 👀 Join the resin obsession!
The Home Depot, 8/14 – Design Your Garage Door with Clopay®
DICK’S Sporting Goods, 8/14 – Deals to Help You Stay Active 🎣 👟 ⛳
Bass Pro Shops, 8/14 – We’ve got everything you need for a great hunting season!
Eddie Bauer, 8/8 — 🏕️ Tonight’s The Night! Let’s Sleep Under The Stars
ModCloth, 8/26 – Did someone say FREE dresses!?
Everlane, 8/26 – “Comfort level = 100.”
Bonobos, 8/20 – New(!) & On Sale(!!): 30% Off New Fall Arrivals(!!!)
Victoria’s Secret, 8/6 – Own your confidence in our #1 bra collection
Crate and Barrel, 8/8 — $1000 for your thoughts.
Quiksilver, 8/16 – Plastic bottles look good on you
Moosejaw, 8/26 – Check out who inspires us: The Blackalachian
Eddie Bauer, 8/22 – ENDS TOMORROW! Get 40% Off When You Sign Up For Rewards Via Text
Trailer Life Magazine, 8/22 – Vote Now! 2020 Readers’ Choice Awards
West Elm, 8/30 – End tomorrow! Win a 6-month HBO Max subscription *AND* $500 from us
New posts on EmailMarketingRules.com
Posted on September 8, 2020
The most critical email deliverability questions are YOUR QUESTIONS, especially during this time when so many companies and email programs have been disrupted and are under so much pressure. To help you get the answers you need, Oracle CX Marketing Consulting’s Email Deliverability Services team got together to answer pre-submitted and live questions about a range of issues that fall under the umbrella of email deliverability.
During this attendee-driven 57-minute webinar, we answer questions about:
- The biggest deliverability challenges of 2020 so far
- The value of BIMI and how to take advantage of it
- How to get into Gmail’s Primary tab—and whether that’s a good idea
- How to safely send full-file transactional emails
- The ISPs that have been the most challengingly lately in terms of deliverability
- The pros and cons of double opt-in
- The value of Sender Scores
- Win-back campaign best practices
- And more
By the end of the webinar, you’ll have a better understanding of all of those issues, plus advice that’s grounded in the challenging times we’re experiencing right now.
Posted on September 4, 2020
The chances are high that hiding among your audiences are small groups whose behaviors are so extreme that they skew the overall behavior of your marketing channels in ways that are detrimental. These groups are called outliers and they can:
- Cloud overall performance data, making it appear that you’re doing much better or much worse than you actually are.
- Obscure how your core audience is performing.
- Conceal trends in your customer data, causing you to miss opportunities or fail to address challenges.
- Skew A/B test results and lead you to implement the wrong changes or strategies.
In this post on SmarterCX.com, I take a look at 5 common outliers that companies might encounter across their marketing channels:
- Always Openers
- Influencers & Detractors
To get all the details on each of those…
Posted on September 2, 2020
The holiday season is just around the corner, so Webbula invited me and 10 other digital marketing experts to share their tips for how to prepare for what will surely be an unusually risk-filled holiday season.
My advice focuses on three areas:
- How the shape of the holiday season is likely to be very different this year, with retailers shifting email campaign volume earlier in the season to lock in sales before late December when risks rise—which we discuss in much more detail in our webinar about Choosing the Best Days to Send Email Campaigns This Holiday Season
- The need for much more contingency planning than usual due to the likelihood of a second wave of coronavirus and the impact that would have on store capacities, staffing levels, and delivery delays—which we discuss in more detail in our third quarter Holiday Marketing Quarterly
- And how businesses need to do a better job at curbside pickup and, more broadly, omnichannel integration—which our consultants rated as a Competitive Differentiator this year
Check our my 12-minute video, plus advice from Jeanne Jennings, Dela Quist, Jenna Tiffany, and the others. A lot of great and varied perspectives to help you think broadly about getting ready for the holiday season this year.
Posted on September 1, 2020
Double opt-in (DOI) permission practices are often seen as unnecessary and harmful to list growth. However, when used correctly, they can improve your email program’s results by protecting your sender reputation, which keeps you from having deliverability problems.
In this post, we answer key questions about double opt-in, including:
- How does a DOI process work?
- What are the advantages of DOI?
- What are the disadvantages of DOI?
- Where should I use a DOI process?
- How can I maximize DOI confirmations?
We also share how we used double opt-in best practices with the Oracle CX Marketing Consulting newsletter, which enjoys a 96% opt-in confirmation rate. As we discuss the best practices, we share screenshots of our subscription confirmation page, opt-in confirmation request email, and opt-in confirmation page so you can see exactly how we put them into action.
Of course, you’re also welcome to experience them yourself by signing up for our twice-monthly newsletter, which is full of advice and insights from our more than 500 digital marketing consultants.
Posted on August 25, 2020
To nourish and grow an email relationship, you need to cater to your subscribers’ needs and wants throughout the entire subscriber lifecycle. That means developing tactics to address the major subscriber moments from beginning to end.
During this free 44-minute on-demand webinar, I discuss:
- The six stages of the subscriber lifecycle, from when a visitor or customer signs up for your promotional emails through when they’re lost as a subscriber
- The pages, emails, and other elements that are a part of each stage of the subscriber lifecycle
- How to improve each lifecycle stage
By the end of the webinar, you’ll understand how to improve subscriber retention as well as increase subscriber lifetime value by optimizing each stage of the lifecycle.